Saturday, September 26, 2015

When is it okay not to listen to the words? Explain about a song you really love that has lame lyrics or lyrics you simply don't understand.


At first, I thought this was going to be a really hard internal debate.  Have I not listened to a lot of songs in my years?  But really, there was only one answer for me: “It’s the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)” by R.E.M.  It’s got a great tune, a memorable chorus, and guitars that really make you want to jump and dance.  But when you get down to it, the lyrics are jibberish, and I mean complete word salad.  The first line about earthquakes is the only one the really fits the title.  Honestly, what does Leonard Bernstein, Lenny Bruce, birthday party cheesecake, or symbiosis have to do with the end of the world?  Absolutely nada.  And that’s what makes the song awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment